Is it possible for an unknown author to grab a six-figure publishing deal and a top agent in the middle of a recession? Those in the book trade say no way! Even the top authors are facing cut-backs. With no novel outline, no plot, no title, no genre, no word count and no contacts in the business, Anu Novelist sets out to achieve the seemingly impossible. Credit crunch . . . what credit crunch?

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dave, you cannot be serious!!

Before I get down to the nitty-gritty of what happened in my brainstorming session yesterday, I've just picked up Dave Haslett's "The Fastest Way To Write Your Book." And boy, does he mean FAST! Dave reckons "we" (OK, he probably means me) can crack this thing in four weeks flat. Flat out, more like.

I quote: "Here's the plan: we're going to spend one week coming up with The Big Idea, researching it, planning the book and creating an outline. We'll then spend three weeks writing the first draft. That's zero to finished draft in under a month. Not bad eh?"

Not bad, Dave? - you're a bloomin' miracle worker, mate.

Still, I can see how that might work with a non-fiction title, but what about my blockbuster?
Mind you, on the back cover of the book, Dave reminds us that "Barbara Cartland usually took two weeks" to write (sorry, dictate) one of her novels - unfortunately I don't (yet) have the funds to hire a secretary. Pity. Perhaps we could have a whip-round? Apparently, Stephen King once bashed out a book in seven days. GMTV's Penny Smith reportedly said her first novel had taken her around two weeks to write. Hmmm . . .

Can't hurt to give this fastwriting thing a whirl. The sooner I get this little beauty down on paper the better. That's a point - paper, or screen? Don't most professional writers type their novels directly onto the computer?

Now, back to the (dreaded) BS. Before we do that, I'm just going to grab a cuppa. Back before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers